19 Jun Pressure Washing: An Easy Solution for Cleaning the Outside of Your Home
Keeping the interiors of your home clean, spotless, and healthy is a big priority for homeowners and families. But what about the exterior and outdoors of your home? Just as dirt and dust can build up inside, the outdoor environment around your home can build up with dirt, moss, mold, algae, and bacteria. Mess and untidiness on the outside of your home can greatly diminish its curb appeal and value. That’s where pressure washing comes into play as an easy way to help keep the outside of your home clean, safe, and visually appealing.
What is Pressure Washing?
Pressure washing, also called power washing, is a method of outdoor cleaning that uses water at extremely high pressures to loosen and remove dirt, grime, mold, and other crud from hard surfaces. Rather than using chemicals to clean, pressure washing uses only pure water that has been machine-pressurized; this means that the work is accomplished much faster than work done by hand and without the negative effects that come from the use of chemicals.
What Surfaces Can Be Pressure Washed?
- Driveways and Walkways: Often overlooked as important features of the home, the driveways, walkways, and sidewalks around your home should be clean and welcoming. After all, these features are often some of the first that your family and guests will notice when entering your home. Dirty, mossy, or slimy driveways and walkways not only look bad, but they can create a slip and fall hazard around your home. Even more importantly, the mold, mildew, and soil on your sidewalks and driveways can be tracked inside on the soles of your shoes, contaminating your home. Using a pressure washer to clean these surfaces will quickly and effectively strip dirt, grime, mold, and germs from them, and can even remove stains created by cars and oil, decomposing leaf matter, and chalk or paint.
- Patios and Pool Decks: With the weather warming up, enjoying your outdoor entertaining areas will be top of mind but your patio and pool deck may be in need of a repair after the winter months. Refreshing and rejuvenating your outdoor entertaining areas, including paved areas, wood decks, balconies, patios, and pool decks, can help create a more beautiful and healthy outdoor entertaining area for you to enjoy. For paved or tiled areas, pressure washing offers the best solution for a powerful, natural clean for hard surfaces. High-pressure water cleaning can even remove slimy bacteria build-up from pool decks without chemicals, though tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) can be used in combination with pressure washing for a deeper clean. Maintaining a wood deck can be as simple as sweeping it every week while pressure washing can provide a deep clean and remove build-up. Re-sealing your wooden decks once a year is also a great idea to maintain their integrity and beauty.
- Walls and Home Exterior: Even the walls and siding of your home can accrue dirt, pollution, mold, and moss build-up over time. This can dull the appearance of your home and detract from your home’s value and curb appeal. Hand washing may be essential for delicate surfaces and glass on the outside of your home, but scrubbing the exterior of your home manually is both backbreaking and unnecessary. High-pressure cleaning with water can quickly remove grime, dirt, and any mold or mildew build-up on your walls and siding. Professional pressure washing is provided from specially designed pumps that supply pure water at just the right pressure to effectively and efficiently clean your walls.
- Outdoor Furniture: Complete your outdoor spring clean by refreshing your outdoor furniture as well. Outdoor furniture can accumulate moss and mold, dirt and dust, fallen leaves, or cobwebs when not in use. In general, a quick wipe down with a solution of gentle detergent and water is enough to bring the life back to any outdoor furniture. But if your furniture is heavily rusted or worn, be sure to check it for safety before you use it again, even after you’ve freshened it up.
Professional vs. DIY Pressure Washing
If pressure washing is something that needs to be done often around your home, you may want to purchase a power wash machine of your own. You can find them online or at the brick-and-mortar stores of most large general retailers, like Wal-Mart and Target, or your local home improvement stores, such as Home Depot and Lowes. Important to keep in mind, however, is that most pressure washers designed for residential ownership will produce up to 1000 psi maximum and will probably not include temperature control; both of these factors will play into the effectiveness of your machine’s cleaning ability.
But if you want to test how pressure washing works around your home, or if you need it done only occasionally, it may be better for you to turn to professionals. Many carpet cleaning companies offer power washing as one of their services and there are several good reasons to turn to them when you’ve got outdoor and exterior home cleaning to be done:
- Experience and Knowledge: Professional pressure washers have the experience and knowledge to assess your property and determine whether power washing is an appropriate cleaning method. For example, improper machine use or use of pressure washing in inappropriate situations can result in removal of all of the sand from between your pavers; blasting of peeling paint from the exterior of your home; or ripping upholstery off of your outside furniture.
- Appropriate Equipment Use: Professional power washers are able to make the correct decision about the proper machine for the job and how best to use it. They make also be able to recapture used water, reducing the impact on the local environment.
- Insured and Licensed: A professional pressure washer will be both licensed and insured for the work they do on your property, protecting themselves and you against injury and loss. This is particularly important for jobs requiring work on the 2nd or 3rd stories, as professionals know how to do this work in a safe and efficient manner. Calling professionals to do this type of power washing for you is always better – and safer – than the risk of you falling off a ladder and breaking your leg!
Keeping the exterior aspect of your home as clean, safe, and appealing, as the inside will help you enjoy the outdoors all year round. Utilizing pressure washing as a quick and powerful cleaning method will allow you to maintain your driveway, walkways, patios, pool decks, home siding, and outdoor furniture with an optimum level of cleanliness and hygiene. For expert professional assistance with your power washing, contact Einstein Carpet Care to schedule a free consultation today!